I paint landscapes and elements of nature in order to evoke a sense of place and the essence of the environment
My painting style has evolved through a process of continual experimentation with style and new media. My initial medium of choice was watercolour and, while I am still fascinated by the freedom and flow of that medium, I now incorporated other media in my work for emphasis and atmosphere.
I love paintings that reveals the artist's hand through the mark-making. Expressive brushstrokes and a range of other tools used to apply paint to the surface, give my work a sense of the energy I wish to convey.
My paintings are created with artist grade paints, and the high quality supports. The paper I use for watercolour work is carefully selected from one of a handful of specialist fine art paper-makers.
I came to painting mid-way through my career, and discovered something I treasured: the joy of seeing a painting emerge in front of me. My studio is filled with works in progress. I often work on more than one piece at the same time. This enables me to step back and consider where a piece is going before coming back to it for the next stage of work.
My work is included in private collections in Australia, New Zealand, France, Portugal, Italy, South Africa, Switzerland, the United Kindom and the United States. My paintings have been selected for the Society of East Anglian Watercolourists Open exhibitions. Selectors included members of the Royal Watercolour Society and the Royal Institute of Painters in Water Colours.
To find out where I am currently exhibiting, sign up for my newsletter or follow me on social media.
I love meeting people who follow my work. There are opportunities to come and say hello at the Society of East Anglian Watercolours exhibitions, or at Open Studio events.
In the Media
- PODCAST - Celebrate Southern Africa: Celebrate Vandy Massey the Artist - 20 March 2021
- ARTICLE - Society of East Anglian Watercolourists' IsolARTion Season 2 Episode 8 - 12 March 2021
- TUTORIAL - Instinctive Living: Finding the Artist in you
- ARTICLE - Society of East Anglian Watercolourists' IsolARTion Season 2 Episode 2 – 29 January 2021
- PODCAST - Life.Purpose.Leadership: Ep 50: Conversations with my Brain with Vandy Massey - 26 January 2021
- ARTICLE - Society of East Anglian Watercolourists' IsolARTion Season 1 episode 5 - May 15 2020
- ARTICLE - Cambridge News - May 2017
- Fine Art: Cambridge Journal - March 2013 (see image)